Our Top 5 Zero Waste Swaps
Henry Ford said that when you ask people what they want, they'll tell you they want a faster horse. That is simply because they have not thought a different/better mode of transportation could exist.
We felt this quote made the perfect analogy for zero-waste products! Before Pine, we were pretty average in our lifestyle. We would buy Dove deodorant and Dawn dish soap, without even thinking about it. But then beeswax wraps happened, and that was our entry into a whole other world! 🌲
Once that door was opened, we realized that our different/better mode of transportation is zero-waste, refillable + sustainable products. And we haven't looked back!
If you're new to zero-waste, we have the absolute pleasure of introducing you to this WAY better lifestyle! 'Zero waste' may sound intimidating or intense, or that it will require a lot of work, but it's actually really easy! It's all about changing your habits and swapping products you already use with more sustainable options.
So if you're starting your zero-waste journey + you happen to be reading this, here are our top 5 zero waste swaps that will straight up change your life...
1 - Beeswax Wrap:
Say goodbye to the bane of everyone's existence... saran wrap!
- beeswax food wraps replace single use plastic wrap
- beeswax naturally keeps food fresh longer
- compost when wrap is too tired to use
- tip: another great way to use your wraps at the end of their life is to use them as fire starters
2 - Dish Washing Block:
A bar soap.. for your dishes!
- replaces liquid dish soap
- use in addition to liquid dish soap, the dish block is perfect when you don't need to fill the sink with dish liquid soap
- compost dish washing block soap scraps at the end of its life
- tip: more great ways to use your dish washing block: take stains out of laundry, take labels off of jars, spot clean your carpet, use it to wipe down ovens...
3 - Tru Earth Laundry Strips:
FINALLY! No more big plastic laundry jugs..
- replaces plastic packaged laundry products, such as, liquid soaps and pods
- biodegradable and septic friendly, these strips are non-toxic, safe for sensitive skin and work in cold or hot water
- tip: use two strips (one sheet) for full or heavy loads; use part of a strip for washing a few items in the sink; perfect to take travelling or camping
4 - CK Soak Bar Soap:
The soap bar that keeps on giving...
- replaces liquid soap
- all natural ingredients including shea butter, olive fruit oil and coconut oil add to the luxurious, creamy feel, without any residue left behind
- each gorgeous bar is completely zero waste and sustainable. The label on each SOAK Bath Co bar is made of biodegradable, plantable seed paper so you can plant the label and it will grow into wildflowers. Nice, right?
- tip: when you're ready to use your bar, slice it into three separate pieces. Use one sliver at a time while keeping the other pieces dry. This will help lengthen the life of your bar and the slice is more ergonomic!
5 - Routine Deodorant:
Gentle on your armpits + the planet!
- replaces stick deodorant in a plastic container
- contains only clean, wholesome ingredients. No nasty aluminum zirconium, aluminum chloralhydrate, parabens, triclosan, or propylene glycol (*if you'd like to learn more about these ingredients, we did a deep dive that you can read here: https://shoppineboutique.com/blogs/the-pine-journal/a-closer-look-part-2-deodorant)
- comes in a variety of scents and formulations, including baking soda free, vegan and charcoal based, yippee!!
- glass jar and metal lid are infinitely recyclable
- available in refill
- tip: refilling your jar saves you up to $6.00 per 58g jar
Fair to say these innovations would have blown Henry Ford's mind! And they certainly blew ours when we started our green journey. It's easy zero waste swaps like these that slowly open your eyes to a lifestyle with no downside. We hope you'll give these zero-waste swaps a try, and we'd love to hear about some of your fave zero-waste swaps! 💚
Let's Take Care,
🌲 Pine Boutique